This previously unseen photo is around 120 years old. Taken around 1900, it shows a brand new entrance to Crossbasket House in High Blantyre.
This private residence then belonged to Mr George Neilson, the wealthy owner of Summerlee and who would later own Spittal Colliery after 1905.
George made many improvements to Crossbasket, including this one, the addition of a front porch, which doubled as an improved, impressive entrance. It’s clear to see how the new stone contrasts against the rest of the building.
Today, the entrance still looks like this, now cleaned up once more along with the rest of the building.