In September 1926, Messrs Cowie & Miller, Architects of Motherwell were appointed to design the Blantyre Miners Welfare which was to be one of the grandest in Scotland.
Mr. William Small purchased 4 acres of land between Victoria Street and Craig Street, to the east of the Calder Street Junior Secondary School, and proceeded to build a Welfare building that was so grand, that none other in the country could be compared against it. It was to accommodate a tennis court and a beautiful outdoor bowling green. It was also to include a playground within which was to be 20 games, to keep children of every age amused. A library, games and reading room were to be the talk of the town. A billiard hall with 10 great tables, a theatre and large dance hall, which would host a variety of parties, functions and celebrations.
Marion Brownlie has kindly shared some great photos of the Outdoor Bowling Green over the years. In Wartime years, royalty stepped on to the bowling green as the King and Queen visited.
This flat, level space fell into dereliction in recent times, but last year and this, hard working volunteers have transformed it into a lovely community garden, full of so much potential and considerably tidying up the area beside the new houses at Handibode Gardens. Once again this a space to be used by the community. With thanks to Alex Rochead for passing on the photos from Marion.