A photo shared here by Gerry Walker from 1973. This is St Joseph’s Football Team. For the first time since its inception in 1924, the competition for the Sir Henry S Keith trophy had been won by a Blantyre team!
The cup which was competed for annually in Lanarkshire was won that year by St Joseph’s School. In the early rounds of the competition St Joseph’s boys beat St Mary’s Primary, Hamilton (9-3), Glenlee Primary Burnbank (4-1), St Aidans Primary Wishaw (4-2), Crawforddyke Primary Carluke (3-0). In the semi final Lanark primary went down 4-3 and in the roaring final, St Josephs beat local rivals Udston 4-0.
Sir Henry S Keith, Chairman of the education authority donated the trophy to Lanarkshire Schools. It was first won by St Johns School in 1924.
Pictured are back row left to right: McQueen, Delaney, Mr Dougan, Mr McShane, Mr Clements, McGinley and McCummie.
Front row are: McAdams, Clearie, Kelly, Daley, MacLean, Barrett, Duffy, Wallace and Wilson.