James D Brown of Calderside has provided a little insight into the rent of Brownsland Place, the tenement that once stood across from the War Memorial in Auchenitbber. Well, the tenement does still exist in some way, although only the lower ground floor with windows and doors all boarded up.
James kindly scanned a copy of the rent book from the 1950’s. In 1953 and 1954, George Brown was the tenant, John Brown (the owner) and William Brown & Sons (solicitor). Another John Brown collected rent, not the owner! Just to make things more confusing, none of the above were related, and just to top it off the solicitor is in ‘Brown’ Street Hamilton! The monthly rent to tenants was just over £1.