Millardale – this contemporary house and garden was one of the original thatched weaving cottages of Hunthill. Located at 45 Hunthill Road, it was in recent decades home to the McLean family and is today well kept next door to the Weavers Gallery. The name appears to be derived from the Millar family who lived there prior to WW1, and notably missing from the 1905 valuation roll and before, may have been called something else prior to that date. In 1915, Agnes Millar of Glasgow owned the cottage and was letting it out to Andrew Shaw an enginekeeper for £14 per annum. Andrew Shaw continued to rent the cottage until after WW2.
The stone built cottage has been slated for much of the 20th Century and still is, but was originally thatched. The door opens out on to Hunthill Road and early hedgerows at the pavement have long since given way to a stone wall. The stone gateposts have been repositioned back from the road against the cottage itself. Millardale was a shop in the mid 20th Century and is today, a desirable extended home.
This fantastic photo from Margaret Stewart shows what appears to be a WW1 postwoman delivering the mail and pictured outside Millardale on Hunthill Road. Many woman took jobs like this whilst menfolk were off fighting.
Partly from “Blantyre Explained” by Paul Veverka (c) 2018