A new type of home was constructed in Blantyre in 1929. A decade before the Second World War, steel homes were built at Watson Street and at Hunthill Road to alleviate an accommodation shortage.
In the valuation roll of 1930, they are noted as being owned by the County Council of Lanark.
They were first touted for construction as early as November 1925 although this picture shows them in the late 1930’s, still looking very new. As well as Blantyre, 1,600 homes of the similar ‘Weir’ type, were built at Strathaven, Tannochside, Viewpark, Uddingston. Bellshill, Holytown, New Stevenston, Carfin, Chapelhall, Newarthill and Newmains.
From the book, “Blantyre Explained” by Paul Veverka (c) 2018