Logan Street started off simply as a Auchinraith field boundary during the 19th Century, likely land belonging to the Craig family. By the 1870’s a small dead end street was formed when Priory Place was constructed at the eastern junction to Glasgow Road and the opposing ‘Turner’s Buildings’ to the West.
An eminent man of the 19th Century in Blantyre had been Colonel John Clark Forrest, and by the 1890’s a street, ‘Forrest Street’ had already been named in his honour. Just after the turn of the 20th Century, around a decade after his death, further streets leading off Glasgow Road were also given proper postal addresses in connection with this man. To the north John Street and Clark Street. To the south, Logan Street, named after John’s wife.
On 9th June 1866, at just 29 years old, Jane Forrest (nee Logan) had died from scarlet fever at her home in Hamilton, John by her bedside. Despite being only 34 years old, John was inconsolable and chose to devote the rest of his life to work and career, never remarrying again. A military man at heart, he rose through the ranks to become the Captain of 16th Lanarkshire Rifle Battalion. He passed away in 1893 and is buried in High Blantyre kirkyard. Council homes were built in Logan Street in 1933 and the large former drill hall, became Elizabeth Scott Centre, now Terminal One Youth Centre.
From the book, “Blantyre Glasgow Road – The Real Story” by Paul Veverka (c) 2017