Most of us know of the High Blantyre Disaster monument erected in 1977, on the centenary of the Pit Disaster of 1877. This picture shows that very day in October 1977. However, did you know, that actually the fundraising did so well in 1977 that there was money leftover even after the beautiful monument was built!
The monument stands at High Blantyre cross as a memorial to the victims of the Blantyre disaster.
The fund has been started in 1977 and by July 1978, it was proposed that a Trust was set up to manage the excess money. Around £3,362 had been raised in 1977 (the equivalent of £23,000 in today’s money). Donations were £2,597 and a further £431 came from Blantyre Miner’s Welfare and the remainder from the public.
After the monument was built, there was still £344 left. A transparent record of the accounts was erected in the Clydesdale Bank on Glasgow Road for all to see.
Rev John Silcox, of Blantyre Old Parish Church told his congregation, “The remaining monies will be held in trust and used to look after the Memorial.” He also added that some of the money would be used to progress the educational needs of youngsters in Blantyre, by reminding them of their mining heritage.
From “Blantyre Explained” by Paul Veverka (c) 2017
Featuring Blantyre Project Social Media with permission. Strictly not for use by others on or offline, our visitors said,
Get a wee working group together. Spruce up the sight. 😊
1 CommentAdd a Comment
The monument was built by Robert “Eekie” Sim RoBert was a first rate Bricklayer, he then started a company making Glass Fibre Grave Monuments