Adams Shop – was a former mid 20th Century shop located on the north side of Glasgow Road at Harts Land. During the late 1960’s and early 1970’s the shop consisted of two shops, either side of a common close. One side was a drapers’ shop, the other sold furniture. The address of the property above the shops was 226 Glasgow Road and home to the Henderson family who had been there since the 1930’s.
In 1930 Arabella Stewart, a chemist owned this building and let it out to 8 families. She also owned the adjacent 3-storey property more commonly known as “Stewarts Building”. She let out not only to the Hendersons, but also to the Browns, Clarks, Millers, Milligans, Muirs, Shands and Shanks.
In the 1960’s, George Adams was the proprietor and the shop sold mainly clothes, branching out into furniture. During the 1970’s, the shop was adjacent to Peter Craig the Butcher and the Central Bar. Nan and James Gilmour lived in the flat above and their neighbours, over the landing were the Lees family. The whole building was eventually knocked down in the late 1970’s as part of the Glasgow Road tenement demolitions.
From “Blantyre Explained” by Paul Veverka (c) 2017
On social media: