Celebrating 450 years of History

This morning, Sunday 16th April 2017, members of Blantyre Old Parish Church were joined by various individuals from the community to mark the pilgrimage walk Rev. William Chirnside made in 1567. Four hundred and fifty years ago, the last Blantyre Prior transferred from the abandoned Blantyre Priory to the grounds of Blantyr Kirk now known as Blantyre Old Parish Church.

Walking between Blantyre Priory and Blantyre Old Parish Church in High Blantyre, the walk was 2.3 miles and the group consisted of people of all ages including many children.

Of course the reason for all this was to celebrate the birth of the Church in this High Blantyre location, a church back then which was located where now the Kirkyard is at Kirkton Cross.

After the walk, everybody was treated to a light breakfast in the Church Hall. An Easter Communion Service took place at 10.00am and then the Family Easter Service from 11.00am both in Blantyre Old Parish Church.

Well done to everybody who took part and braved the rain showers.

Leave a Reply