Here’s a nice 1920’s colourised photo of the Bowling club in Stonefield Road. The manse to the right.
To the right of the previous clubhouse, is a small brick building with a chimney. This building was the only one noted on the 1898 map at the bowling green location, indicating it may have been the original clubhouse, perhaps dating back to the 1872 or just after.
It was small, not much larger than a modern day car garage. It had an arched doorway facing south-west on to the green. It had tall, arched windows on the side and a chimney, suggesting it was heated, providing some shelter. It was likely retained as a store when the new clubhouse was built as pictured.
Earlier this year, an article was put up on Blantyre Project suggesting that the Bowling club was formed in 1865, rather than 1872, and that the 1872 date is only relevant to the time the club started playing at this location.
From “Blantyre Explained” by Paul Veverka (c) 2016
On social media: