On 30th December 1936, a fire occurred in a bungalow at Station Road. The Cambuslang detachment of Lanark Fire Brigade was summoned to the fire which had broken out in a bungalow at 43 Station Road, Blantyre. The house at that time was owned by Mr George Potsworth, who worked his business as a boot repairer and fancy goods merchant in Station Road.
When the fire was observed Mrs Potsworth’s mother was alone in the house, as Mr and Mrs Potsworth were at their business. The fire seemed to have broken out above the ceiling of the kitchen, due, it is said, to the fusing of an electric wire. The firemen had the flames quickly extinguished, and the principal damage was caused by water. The property and furniture also suffered slightly from the effects of the fire but there were no injuries.