Dating from 1910, from a series of photos between 1905 – 1910 celebrating Blantyre’s growth, here is a picture of Glasgow Road. A single tramlane runs along the road, which had just been built. (Glasgow Road to Cambuslang tramlanes were built in 1907, extending the 1903 Blantyre terminus).
Intrigued by how narrow Glasgow Road looks in this photo by comparison to today, it would appear in later decades when the roads were widened to accommodate traffic, the gardens, hedges and trees you see lining this road, look like they were reduced in size. This may have been by a
compulsory order. For example the hedges and trees on the right are now all gone and the houses have small gardens today. This 1910 map shows the large gardens at the front on either side and indeed hints at large glass houses in the gardens at the back of the white house pictured on the left.
Today, the scene looks far less green with the houses still mostly there today but with smaller gardens, not too far from the road itself.
Thanks to Jim Cochrane for sending over this colourised photo.