This newspaper clipping is from around 1953. Pictured is the Women’s guild who were celebrating a 50th Anniversary with a party. The clipping reports, “Fifty years old and still going strong” – and that was obviously so at the Jubilee Party at Blantyre Central Co-operative women’s guild. Cutting the cake are left to right, Mrs T. McDonagh the president, Mr Gordon Clark who handed over the cake on behalf of the management, Mrs Sarah Peat a founder member and Mrs M. Mundell vice president. “
Sent in by Mary Peat DeSarno with thanks. Mary’s grandmother Sarah Peat is pictured in the middle.
The clipping is from 1953, as fifty years earlier in 1903, the Womens Guild at Blantyre Co-operative Society was established. There were several women’s guilds all over Blantyre, most notably connected to local churches and chapels.