<<< Back to Schools
Some of the initial staff upon opening included Miss Rennie, Miss Johnston, Miss Grant and Miss Bremner.
Other historians have reported incorrectly that James Brown was the first headmaster. However, the first headmaster was Mr. Joseph McNish who died in 1903 and was succeeded by Mr. John Welsh, then later by Mr. James Brown, a captain who was called away to serve in the First World War. (He died in service).
Mr. James. R. Dobson taught at the school from 1915 until 1929, after which time he left to become headmaster at a school in Cambuslang.
On 3rd October 1926, headmistress Miss Marion Murray Clark was tragically run down and died in nearby Auchinraith Road, her family successfully suing the driver for £500.
The next headmaster in 1930 was Hugh A. Aitken who lived at the schoolhouse nearby at 124 Craig Street.
In the 1950’s the headmaster was Mr Dunlop. Some of the teachers were Miss Weir, Miss Frances and Miss Dunn.
As researched and compiled for the book, “Blantyre Explained” by Paul Veverka (c) 2018