Re-opening of Bardykes Colliery

In the Glasgow Herald of 7th June, 1905, it was reported that a demonstration by miners was held at Castle Park. Blantyre. The story reported that on the previous night, a protest against the action of those responsible for the closing down of Bardykes Colliery had taken place. It was an event which had thrown 700 men out of employment and so feelings were running high.

The landowner (Jacksons of Spittal) had made a demand for higher mineral royalties from Messrs Merry and Cunninghame, the coal masters. However, the coalmasters had been working at a heavy loss for two or three years prior to that and so unable to meet demands, they were obliged to close the mine.

A few years later, on 1st May 1908, the following report appeared in the same paper:—“At a time when unemployment is causing much concern in the country, the intimation that the Summerlee Iron Company, Coatbridge, will shortly reopen the large colliery which is situated on the the estate at Bardykes, will be welcomed by the mining community of Mid-Lanark, and more particularly in the districts immediately interested —Uddingston, Blantyre, and Cambuslang. It may recalled that the colliery, which was sunk nearly 30 years ago by the Clyde Coal Company, was shut down a few years ago and completely dismantled, the result of regrettable dispute between the lessees, Messrs Merry and Cunninghame, coalmasters. and proprietor regarding the payment of mining royalties. From six to seven hundred miners were at that time thrown out of employment, and the village of Bardykes was demolished. The shafts were sunk to a depth of 224 fathoms, and there is sufficient coal in the workings to keep the colliery going steadily for at least the next 30 years, and the daily output will exceed 1000 tons per day.”

The owner of Summerlee Iron Co was Mr George Neilson who took up residence at Crossbasket.

Bardykes Colliery, sometimes known as Spittal Colliery is shown.

1936 Bardykes Colliery

Leave a Reply