The photograph taken in mid 1920’s was kindly borrowed from Mrs Mary Wilson and shows a very quiet street. High Blantyre Main Street pictured from the middle of High Blantyre Road at approximately Russell Street (beyond the current industrial estate) looking East along the road towards Burnbank Cross. A noticeable lack of traffic and road markings and leaves on the trees suggest a Summer scene.
The old gas lamps line the pavements , as do the old fashioned electricity poles. The sign on the right hand side reads “School – Drive Slowly”, referring to the Roman Catholic School beside St Cuthberts, the roof of which can just about be seen. This is just about as far out of the town as Blantyre Project will venture!