Site icon Blantyre Project – Official History Archives, Lanarkshire

1908 Broompark House, Broompark

1908 The Doctors House at Broompark Road

1908 The Doctors House at Broompark Road

Pictured here in 1908, from Broompark Avenue, is Broompark House. Despite being over a Century old, this photo has remarkable clarity and resolution thanks to the photographer David Ritchie, who lived at the time in Broompark Avenue from this vantage point.

Two storey Broompark House was detached, built in stone, well built with turret features adding a lot of character. It was later to become home to The Jopes, the husband and wife doctors. In the treeline at the back was the railway line, elevated, cutting through the centre of Blantyre from High Blantyre Train Station to Auchinraith. This scene would now be looking at the flats at Broompark Grove and of course the site of St John Ogilvie RC Church. Thanks to Alex Bowie for sharing the original photo.

On Social Media:

Exit mobile version