Menu: Events | Streets | Glasgow Rd | Medieval Times | Deep History | Modern | Redevelopment | Road Accidents | Works Village | Livingstone Memorial Centre | Shuttle Row | Childhood | Environment |
South Submenu: Exploring Burnbank Boundary | Birth to Redevelopment | Burnbank to Auchinraith Rd | Auchinraith Rd to Herbertson St | Herberston St to Church St | Church St to Logan St | Logan St to Victoria St | Victoria St to Stonefield Rd | Stonefield Rd to Westend | Westend to Priory Bridge
North Submenu: Burnbank to Whistleberry | Whistleberry to Forrest St | Forrest St to Clark St | Clark St to John St | John St to Alpine St | Alpine St to Greenside St | Greenside St to Station Rd | Station Rd to Mayberry Pl | Mayberry Pl to Coatshill | Coatshill to Priory Bridge | Exploring Spittal Boundary
From the illustrated social history book…
“Blantyre – Glasgow Road South, The Real Story” by Paul Veverka (c) 2018.
|Constructed: >1906<1909||Other Names: None|
|Constructor: William Coats||Original Address: Name only|
|House Type: Detached Villa||Current Address: 315 Glasgow Road|
Brief Summary: William Coats of nearby Stonefield Cottage obtained this vacant plot of land sometime between 1906 and 1909. He constructed a well built, stone detached cottage of one and a half storeys.
As the picture shows there are certainly some tudor influences in the design. His build was likely to allow family members to live close together. The Coats family of Blantyreferme were responsible for building several buildings on Glasgow Road including those around the Stonefield Tavern and were one of the most prominent property owners on Glasgow Road during the late 19th and early 20th Centuries.
Despite sounding slightly French, ‘Arnot’ has its roots in Scottish origin in Kinross-shire. The name most fitting to Coats purchase of Wheatlandhead Farm fields, for in Gaelic it translates as “the place where barley is grown.”
Margaret Coats, a spinster and sister of William, would live at this address which was always 315 Glasgow Road until her death in the early 1920’s. The house went to her trustees, letting out to Peter Craig, a grocer in the mid 1920’s. In 1930, this handsome house was empty as sale was progressed to Helen and Margaret Weir, who bought the house for their retirement. In later post war years, the ‘Averell’ Family lived there. The cottage is today, well kept, pretty in appearance and is unique in its design and charm.
|Constructed: c 1950’s||Other Names: None|
|Constructor: Unknown||Original Address: 315a Glasgow Road|
|House Type: Single Bungalow||Current Address: 315a Glasgow Road|
Brief Summary: This cottage has a similar history to the other one of the same era just 2 houses up to the east. A modern, single storey bungalow clad in stone with a slate roof, sits back from Glasgow Road offering modest front and rear garden space.
Built in the 1950’s on the former farmlands of Russell’s Farm at Wheatlandhead, the cottage has an unusual address of 315a. When given its address it could not have 315 which belonged to ‘Arnot’ next door and could not be given 317 Glasgow Road, as this address had already been allocated by the council for their small narrow strip of land with a small lane leading through to their new ‘Fernslea Avenue’. This bungalow was owned by the Averell family from its construction until modern times. The lane to the immediate west of this cottage led to Springfield Cottage, which in the third quarter of the 20th Century was owned by Mr. Innes Reid, the father of John Reid who owned Reid Printers.
Brownlea Cottages (Jeanfield)
|Constructed: c 1869||Other Names: Jeanfield Cottages|
|Constructor: Robert Lindsay||Original Address: 297/299 Glasgow Road|
|House Type: 2 storey houses||Current Address: 319/321 Glasgow Road|
Brief Summary: Incredibly important building for our heritage, for by our reckoning, this is the oldest surviving house on Glasgow Road South between Springwell and the Westend! Built in 1869 by constructor and bookseller, Robert Lindsay (who lived nearby at Clyde Cottages and would later build Allison Place), it was originally called ‘Jeanfield Cottages’.
By the early 1880’s, Robert had moved away from Blantyre and the property was bought by Penelope Galt Renfrew, of Muir Street, Hamilton, who owned it and let it out until her death in 1900. On 12th October 1912, the Thomson family renting here lost a baby son (aged 10 month), named Wee Bunty.
In 2 separate homes, it was twinned with an identical separate building to the west, and renamed ‘Brownlea Cottages’ although it is not connected in any way to the Brownlie’s of Barnhill. Of solid, functional 2 storey construction it is short on ornate detail. By 1905 John G Johnston of Glasgow was the owner, although he had died by WW1. Tenants included Henry RS Oliver, draper and Thomas Devaney, a publican.
Owners changed often. Joseph Hughes in 1920, Alexander Struthers by 1925 and by 1930 subdivided into private homes, one belonging to Struthers, the other to Thomas Little a works manager. The Bennett family have lived there now for over 35 years.
At almost 150 years old, we see no reason why this won’t still be standing and be occupied in another 150 years. Lovely, quality family homes
|Constructed: c 1869||Other Names: Brownlie House|
|Constructor: Robert Lindsay||Original Address: 301 Glasgow Road|
|House Type: 2 Storey Houses||Current Address: 323 Glasgow Road|
Brief Summary: The name ‘Korek’ may have Polish origins, although there is no immediate connection to constructor Robert Lindsay, who built this twinned property in 1869. Similar to adjacent Brownlea Cottages, the original name appears to be Brownlie House, although was quickly changed perhaps due to the similar name in Barnhill. The 1875 valuation roll has upstairs empty.
It is identical to its neighbor and shared a similar history of ownership with Penelope Galt Renfrew of Hamilton owning it from the early 1880’s up until 1900. John G Johnston let it out to 2 tenants, one of which was Thomas Oliphant, a solicitor.
By 1920, John F Dott owned the property and by 1930 it had changed hands to Mary Cumming Izett, a spinster newsagent, who sold in 1941 for £340 to family members, Sunday Post journalist William Izett & his wife, who lived there beyond WW2 years. ‘Korek’ is semi detached, only noted separately here as ownership of the other half took a different path in the early 20th Century.
Again, it’s an important building for Glasgow Road South, joint oldest surviving house.
|Constructed: c 1869||Other Names: Brownlie House|
|Constructor: Robert Lindsay||Original Address: 303 Glasgow Road|
|House Type: 2 Storey Houses||Current Address: 325 Glasgow Road|
Brief Summary: ‘Blairhoyle’ no doubt takes its name after the beautiful, scenic place of that name near Callendar in Stirlingshire. Semi detached, with a garage it together with ‘Korek’ attached forms a property built in 1869 by Robert Lindsay.
A slightly different ownership from 1895 to its neighbor, when Penelope Galt Renfrew sold it to Mrs. Young of Cambuslang who let it out that year to Rev Robert Paterson, a retired minister.
John G Johnston acquired it prior to 1905 and a family member was letting it out to Dennis McLinden, a draper by 1920. Mrs Jean G Smith was owner from the early 1920’s until beyond WW2 years. Her husband, Quintin was a notable school teacher at Auchinraith Primary School.
In 1940, Quintin was cleared of assaulting an 11 year old pupil, John Cook who had been misbehaving in the playground. Quintin had taken the boy and strapped him as corporal punishment, away from the sight of others, the boy making out his punishment had been more severe than had been. It is understood the boy whilst being strapped had threatened Quintin saying, “My dad will get you for this, think twice before doing it!”
Clifton (Hilden / Moraig)
|Constructed: >1902<1904||Other Names: Moraig, then Hilden|
|Constructor: W.G Robertson||Original Address: 305 Glasgow Road|
|House Type: detached Villa||Current Address: 327 Glasgow Road|
Brief Summary: Constructed by William G Robertson sometime between 1902 and 1904, Clifton is an impressive detached villa with one of the largest gardens and garages on Glasgow Road.
William was a bricklayer and worked in South Africa for a time letting his house out to family member, Elizabeth Robertson. The house was originally called ‘Moraig’ but when passed in ownership to Thomas Devaney, a spirit dealer before the First World War, it was renamed as “Hilden”.
At that time it was let to Michael J Harkin MD. During Springtime 1917, Robert Colquhoun a draper bought, owned and occupied the house for a short time, selling to Dugald M Norris, the grocer by 1925. At the time it had 2 public rooms, 4 bedrooms, a washhouse, pantry, tool store, bathroom, kitchen and scullery.
This was a quality, luxury home for the early 20th Century, a far cry from the ‘miner’s raws’ dotted all over Blantyre. It would take a successful person to afford and live in such a home. Dugald M Norris the grocer lived in this desirable villa until around 1936.
When the next owners moved in, the house was renamed a third time to “Clifton” as it is still currently known today. The property changed hands again during WW2. In post WW2 years, another doctor lived at this address. At one and half storeys, with dormer windows, it is well built and maintained, its architecture and design standing the test of time.
|Constructed: >1902<1904||Other Names: None|
|Constructor: Richard McCall||Original Address: 307 Glasgow Road|
|House Type: detached Villa||Current Address: 329 Glasgow Road|
Brief Summary: Richard W McCall was a builder from Auchinraith Road whom, when trams arrived in Blantyre, wanted a taste for himself of owning a superior home near the Glasgow Road terminus. Between 1902 and 1904, he acquired a long, rectangular plot of land and built a stone cottage of one and half storeys.
Richard would only live in the house for a short time, opting to rent it out to others by the First World War. His first tenant was Thomas Robertson, a relative of neighbour W.G Robertson next door. Thomas was an Architect and we cannot rule out he may have been involved designing the house he ended up living in.
In 1918, Richard’s son, Donald McIntyre McCall was killed in action in France during the war. The cottage would remain in the hands of the McCall family until the late 1920’s, always let out to Thomas Robertson during that time.
By 1930, John G Johnston, a Blantyre draper bought and occupied the cottage. John, a keen fisherman lived there for many years and was selling a 4 berth caravan from the rear of the house during 1930. In later years, a garage was added. The cottage is distinctive as it has a hedge in front rather than any wall or fence. It is attractive, well kept and remains most desirable.
|Constructed: >1902<1904||Other Names: None|
|Constructor: T. Crombie||Original Address: 309 & 311 Glasgow Rd|
|House Type: Semi detached||Current Address: 331 & 333 Glasgow Rd|
Brief Summary: ‘Oakbank’ is a semi-detached stone cottage of one and a half storeys. Situated on a long rectangular plot, in front of the modern St Blane’s Primary School, it has 2 small bay windows and 3 upper dormer windows. It is noted in the early valuation rolls as having a garage.
Built between 1902 and 1904 by miner, Thomas Crombie of Auchinraith Road, the east side initially had address 309 (later 331 Glasgow Road) and served as his home. The west symmetrical side was rented for over 2 decades to Andrew Arbuckle, a butcher.
Thomas Crombie’s time living there was short lived and the whole property passed to his widow, Hannah, when he died on 13th August 1910. Hannah Crombie owned ‘Oakbank’ until her own death in the early 1920’s. By 1925, the whole building was bought by John Stirling McCallum, a merchant who operated from the bottom of nearby Stonefield Road. John lived there only a short time and by 1930 had sold the east side to James Pate, a surface foreman who would continue living there through Second World War years.
The west side, John McCallum retained for his own home, retiring there in the house previously rented by Andrew Arbuckle. Today, ‘Oakbank’ sits opposite a traffic calming island in Glasgow Road and at over 115 years old, is tidy and well maintained.
Between ‘Oakbank’ Cottage and ‘Campsie View’ on the south side of Glasgow Road was an unusual gap of around 28m throughout much of the 20th Century. Part of this gap was occupied in the first half of the Century by the Bowie Family’s Market Gardening sheds and stores.
In modern times, a semi-detached 2 storey house at 335 and 337 Glasgow Road has been built. The stone is light in colour and sympathetic to surrounding villas but at 2 storeys it is higher than the adjacent homes after modern planning required it to be relocated further back set off Glasgow Road and out of alignment of the existing villas. As such, it has a large front garden which is currently graveled with iron railings. To the rear, the garden faces into St Blane’s Primary School. This was on land formerly belonging to the Gray family at number 333.
Also, to the west of this gap is now a one and half storey modern detached house at 339 Glasgow Road. Built of red brick and concrete tiling, it has a large front garden offering a good monoblocked, driveway and like its modern neighbour, is set back off Glasgow Road.
The house is built in the same style as the lovely homes on the extended, Poplar Place to the rear. In the last decade, conifer hedges have grown taller, threatening to obscure the house from being seen from Glasgow Road, but all these homes in this article are certainly, quality & desirable family homes.
Copyright notice: All articles may be printed off for offline use copyright free. Where any of these images and words are intended to be published online or in books, please contact me first for permission. Due to continued copyright theft of uncredited research from this website, these words or any form of them (or comments provided to this website from its readers) are strictly not permitted for any kind of use by Mr. Bill Sim under penalty of further legal proceedings. These are Blantyre Project words and are not permitted in any form or derivative to appear on other websites or books.