Gilbert the Bakers – was a former post WW2, bakers shop and confectioner located at 10 Stonefield Road, next to Jimmy Sweenies the Butchers at the western side of the bottom of Stonefield Road, very close to the Old Original bar. The shop was known to be there in the 1950’s, 1960’s and 1970’s.
People remember the lovely rolls and cakes like fresh cream pancakes. During the late 1960’s and 1970’s Gilberts had a mobile van, which travelled around Blantyre housing estates. The van was taken over by the Strang family in 1978. The van permitted buying on a tab or credit as long as payment was made at the end of the week.
Amongst people who worked in the shops were Emma Trueman and her sister Margaret. Mrs Campaigne was the cleaner, who also cleaned nearby Mickey’s Café Royal.
It was said Gilberts sold the best rolls, cakes and breads in Blantyre and the shop was incredibly successful, despite the proximity to other bakers like Blacks, across and further up the road.
The shop signage was a light background with dark writing, the name Gilbert being prominent. The high adjacent wall to the north of the shop was demolished and modern brick flat and houses were built adjacent to it. Gilberts may also have had a second shop in Eastfield, Cambuslang.
Above Gilbert’s Shop was a store, which had blocked up windows in the 1960’s. During the 1980’s following the close of the business, the roof was replaced and the upper windows unblocked to form one large window, which still exists today. Today, the shop is B-Reem, Hair by Brogan.
From “Blantyre Explained” by Paul Veverka (c) 2017
On social media: