In 1893, there were only 6 members. By 1902, this had increased to 86 and services were held in Dixons Hall. On 31st October 1903, it was agreed to secure a site in Glasgow Road for a church. Plans were erected according to architect H Campbell’s (of Glasgow) design. It could seat 450 people with a rear hall, vestry and retiring rooms.
It was formerly opened on Thursday 23rd November 1905. The church closed during WW1 and lay disused until bought by the Stonefield Independent Co-operative Society in 1925, being refurbished with electric light installed. It was used as a hall for various purposes seating 470 people and opened on 29th January 1925.
It was used for various purposes including a dance hall. It was still owned by the Co-op in 1930, according to the valuation roll of that year. Following that, it was an unemployment exchange around 1931.
The Christian Brethern saved the fate of this building on the northern side of Glasgow Road. They put it back on track as a religious establishment and in 1936 renamed it “The Bethany Hall”, although this should not be confused with the Bethany Mission Hall in High Blantyre. This Low Blantyre, busy hall was used each Sunday at 1pm for Sunday school, 2pm for Bible Class, 3.30pm for Ministry meetings and 6.30pm for Gospel Meetings. It remained in their hands for 50 years until 16th December 1996,when they sold it to the World of Life Christian Fellowship.
It is now used as a private children’s nursery named Cosmic Cherubs and has address 266, Glasgow Road. It is a building quite often not given its recognition in Blantyre, understated by comparison to the other churches on Glasgow Road.
From “Blantyre Explained” by Paul Veverka (c) 2017
On social media: