The Stonefield Independent Co-operative Society was formed in 1884. It served as an alternative (but similar) to the larger Blantyre Co-operative Society.
However after 48 years of operating, on the evening of Saturday 30th April 1932, the Stonefield Independent Co-op society ceased trading independently and merged with the larger society. The properties and shops owned by the Stonefield Co-op valued at £11,000 were taken over by the Blantyre Co-op for a mere £2,500, a bargain. Members of the society were enrolled into the Blantyre Co-op automatically, their debs and orders taken on board, like for like.
The smaller organisation was likely unable to compete any more or perhaps was a victim to the growing commerce all over Blantyre. At the time of the merger, their membership was only 270 people, yet the Blantyre Co-op at the time had over 3,000 customers.
Pictured just 5 years earlier in 1927, is the Blantyre Co-op at Main Street, High Blantyre, a busier scene than today.
On social media: