On Monday 17th February 1908, a household accident happened at Mayberry Place, just off Glasgow Road. A warning this story contains sensitive content.
Mrs Ann Tarleton, (nee Magewick) was the wife of John Tarleton and the couple lived in one of the homes at Mayberry Place, Blantyre. That particular night, she was at home alone and standing on the fender of the fireplace , reaching up the high mantlepiece when her clothes became ignited from the fire.
The flames quickly caught hold of her clothes and spread. Horrified, she was unable to put out the flames and her actions and cries for help quickly brought neighbours to the scene. Shortly after, the flames were all extinguished with thanks to those neighbours, who also fetched Dr Wilson from nearby Parkville. The doctor arrived promptly and treated the woman who was badly burned. She was taken to the Royal Infirmary in Glasgow.
However, sadly, the woman died the following Thursday. There was much sympathy from everybody who lived in the nearby area. This article remembers Ann Tarleton, may she rest in peace.