One last photo from Caldergrove House, this time a plaque which was on the north facade.
Caldergrove House was a large villa in its own grounds by the Rotten Calder River, built c.1830. In 1875 a mansard roof and Ionic-style porch were added to give the house a more imposing façade. The interior was also elaborately decorated in 1875, and again in 1919. Sadly the interior was gutted by fire in 1983 and the house demolished.
This shows a cast metal plaque on the exterior of the building inscribed: ‘TO RECORD THE USE OF THIS BUILDING AS AN AUXILIARY HOSPITAL DURING THE GREAT WAR AND THE THANKS OF THE SCOTTISH BRANCH OF THE BRITISH RED CROSS SOCIETY TO THE GENEROUS DONORS APRIL 1919’.