Clifton (Hilden / Moraig)
|Constructed: >1902<1904||Other Names: Moraig, then Hilden|
|Constructor: W.G Robertson||Original Address: 305 Glasgow Road|
|House Type: detached Villa||Current Address: 327 Glasgow Road|
Brief Summary: Constructed by William G Robertson sometime between 1902 and 1904, Clifton is an impressive detached villa with one of the largest gardens and garages on Glasgow Road.
William was a bricklayer and worked in South Africa for a time letting his house out to family member, Elizabeth Robertson. The house was originally called ‘Moraig’ but when passed in ownership to Thomas Devaney, a spirit dealer before the First World War, it was renamed as “Hilden”.
At that time it was let to Michael J Harkin MD. During Springtime 1917, Robert Colquhoun a draper bought, owned and occupied the house for a short time, selling to Dugald M Norris, the grocer by 1925. At the time it had 2 public rooms, 4 bedrooms, a washhouse, pantry, tool store, bathroom, kitchen and scullery.
This was a quality, luxury home for the early 20th Century, a far cry from the ‘miner’s raws’ dotted all over Blantyre. It would take a successful person to afford and live in such a home. Dugald M Norris the grocer lived in this desirable villa until around 1936.
When the next owners moved in, the house was renamed a third time to “Clifton” as it is still currently known today. The property changed hands again during WW2. In post WW2 years, another doctor lived at this address. At one and half storeys, with dormer windows, it is well built and maintained, its architecture and design standing the test of time.
From the book, “Blantyre Glasgow Road South – The Real Story” by Paul Veverka (c) 2017
Featuring Blantyre Project Social Media with permission. Strictly not for use by others on or offline, our visitors said,