Allison Place, Springwell, Blantyre

From the illustrated book, “Blantyre Glasgow Road South – The Real Story” by Paul Veverka (c) 2017

One of the largest and oldest properties in Springwell on Glasgow Road was the well known and heavily populated former ‘Allison Place.’ Constructed in 1878 by Robert Lindsay for John Heriot of Wishaw, his daughter Ann Heriot, (a teacher) would be the long term owner, from the moment they were built.

Alllison Place zoned

1910 Map showing Former Allison Place, Blantyre

   Allison Place takes its name from Ann Heriot’s middle name, her mother’s maiden name of Allison. (Correct with two ‘l’s). The property consisted of 6 large tenement buildings configured in an L shape, with frontage on Glasgow Road and Springwell Place. It was directly opposite where the modern Dunn’s Food Offices are today.

   The buildings were all two storey, built of stone, timber and slate. A wider, pend close led from Springwell Place into the back courtyard, and a narrower pedestrian close from Glasgow Road into the courtyard further to the west. Steps to upper levels were located at the read, out of sight from the main road.

   When constructed there were initially 35 homes located in these tenements, people densely packed in, primarily miners and their families.

   The number of houses increased in the first decade or so and before Glasgow Road postal addresses, they were labeled 1-41 Allison Place.

Sewers outside Allison Place

   On 26th August 1879, notice was given under the Public Health Act by authorities, that a sewer should be laid between Allison Place heading towards Springwell Cottages at the Burnbank boundary. The proposal was most descriptive. The Glasgow Road, then a turnpike road owned by the Cambuslang and Muirkirk Road Trust had a ditch running along the side of it, in front of new properties. The laying down of a sewer was determined to be the only way the foulness and offensive smells could be removed, as it was known that wastewater, raw sewage and other ‘matters’ were constantly thrown into the ditch as it was at the time. The motion was passed and Springwell got its first sewer, the sewage works being located tnear the Parkburn to the rear of the yards of the north side of Glasgow Road. It would take until 1893 for the sewer to be extended from Allison Place into Blantyre up to Herbertson Street.

   As well as homes, two popular shops were located at the western end. In 1885, five of the 35 homes were still empty to be let, but the other 30 all occupied. Ann also owned a blacksmiths or smithy in the rear yard but it fell out of use rapidly and was even unused by 1885, quite probably due to a large, established blacksmiths across the road on the north side, directly opposite. One of the shops was occupied by John Miller, a grocer and the other by Alexander Smellie, a butcher.

   Both these individuals would later have aspirations of their own property ownership at neighbouring buildings.

Location Line Allisons Place

Location Line Drawing showing former Allison Place.

Quarrel on the Stairwell

steps    During one dark evening in late October 1893, four persons (three men and a little girl) were quarreling over an unknown matter at a wedding reception in an upper house at Allison Place. They took the argument outside to the back stair landing of the tenement.

    Suddenly, the handrail they were all leaning against broke and all of them ended up 14 feet down on the ground in the back yard. The men allegedly continued to fight in the fall! All the men were little worse for wear, but the girl whose surname was Lees was rather seriously hurt. It turns out 2 guests went outside to fight and the other 2 people came out to try to stop them.

   Owner Miss Ann Allison Heriot was born in 1833 and was therefore middle aged by the time she took ownership of Allison’s Place. The daughter of John Heriot, a baker and Christina Allison, she did not live in Blantyre ever, but clearly fancied the business of factoring out these homes. She lived first in Dennistoun, but later moved to 12 Albert Drive, Crosshill, Glasgow. She would be single all her long life.

   By 1895, as the Century drew to a close, her smithy in the backyard was still empty as was the adjacent stable. John Miller and Alexander Smellie still occupied the shops on the ground floor. However, Ann had split some of the homes and there were now 41 houses, only 1 of which was empty. Conditions must have been difficult with whole families squashed into those small homes.

   Tenants renting from Ann Heriot for rents between £3, 12 and £7, 4 shillings in 1895 included miners John Gray, John Lockhart, Daniel Murdoch, Peter Morton, John Murdoch, John Stewart (engineer), Francis O Brien (pensioner), miners William Rooney, Robert Fleming, William Colvin, Joseph Irving, John Cobrough, Edward Bradley, a Mrs Jones, Mark Stewart, Joseph Robb, James King, James Crawford, Peter Gowan, Hugh McPhail, Margaret Neilson, Patrick Callaghan, Walter Neilson, James Davidson, Alexander Livingstone (joiner), Charles Russell, George Rennick, Mrs John Galbraith, John Wilson, David Cameron, Mrs Elizabeth Neilson, Mrs McLachlan, James Lawson, and John Miller (grocer).

   In September 1900, whilst local newspaper told of a rumoured tram system coming to Blantyre shortly, the butchers shop was let to others and Mr John Lees, a confectioner moved in to form a sweet shop. This was due to Alexander Smellie constructing his own neighbouring buildings.

   By 1905, residents of the 41 homes of Allison Place would have been quite used to the trundle of the new trams cars going past their windows on Glasgow Road. Ann Heriot’s abandoned smithy was now being used as a lumber room, perhaps a store for firewood. The stable was still unused. John Miller continued his grocery business in one shop and the aforementioned John Lees running the other shop as a confectionery business. Five of the homes were empty that year.

Sharing Ownership

   In 1907, Miss Heriot was 74 years old. Becoming eldery she sold a share of her property at Allison Place to Mr. Daniel Paterson, of nearby 1 George Street, Burnbank. They are both noted as co owners in 1915. This may have been getting too much for Ann to manage by then 37 homes (some joined together again) and she likely did it not just for a cash sale, but for some assistance in maintaining the aging buildings. Daniel Paterson may have been more hands on and known to tenants, for there are references in this era to ‘Paterson’s Buildings in Springwell’, despite the name Allison Place still existing. Mr Paterson also bought some farm fields further to the west.

   The lumber room and stable were still used in 1915 but the shops had both changed hands. John Miller (grocer) had moved out and Robert McDougall Grocers had moved in. At the end the sweet shop was gone by 1912, and instead was shopkeeper John Crop (business unknown).

   Around this time Allison Place was also allocated Glasgow Road postal address. From east to west, numbers 25, 27, 29, 31 and 33 were assigned and it is around then we see the old numbering of 1-41 Allison Place disappear for good. Many of the families living there even in those war years had the same surnames as previous decades, indicating they may have been homes for generations in the same families, rather than transient miners and labourers.

   Rents increased steadily every 5 years or so.

Lost Dog

did-you-know-that-600x450     In April 1918, during World War 1, Robert McDougall, the grocer who lived at 27 Glasgow Road found a collie dog. As was the custom at the time, he advertised it in the paper for collection by any owner, else he would sell it in 3 days time.

New Owners

   By 1920 McDougall’s Grocery was at 27/29 Glasgow Road within Allison Place and shopkeeper John Bell (business unknown) at 31 Glasgow Road. Thirty seven homes were occupied with rent going to both partners.

   However, just one month after the valuation roll was conducted, Miss Ann Heriot died at her home in Glasgow on 23rd May 1920. She was 87 years old and had no children or husband. At her death, a nephew from London signed the death certificate.

Ann Heriot death

Miss Ann Allison Heriot death certificate in 1920

   Daniel Paterson would inherit the other half of the Allison’s Place later that year and then between 1921 and 1924, put the whole lot up for sale. Allison’s Land was purchased by John Stevenson , a grocer of 67 Clark Street, Paisley, permitting Robert McDougall to continue operating his grocery business from there. Despite being a remote owner, John Stevenson also kept a few homes on the east side of Stonefield Road, near the Anderson Church.

Meantime at 33 Allison Place…. 

   During researching this property, a few stories arose in connection with one of the addresses, i.e. at 33 Allison Place. In May 1923, behind an action which had been brought in Hamilton Sheriff Court was the remarkable story of an alleged treasure of gold and precious stones buried in a churchyard near Edinburgh. The Sheriff made avizandum in the case. The pursuer in the action was Mrs Ona Novasitis, a Lithuanian widow who lived at 33 Allison Place, Springwell and she sought to recover the sum of £93 from Blades Stephanskis, a miner residing at 51 Auchinraith Road, Blantyre. The pursuer averred that in 1921, and in the beginning of 1922, the defender informed her that he had a treasure, consisting of gold and precious stones, buried in Rosewell, near Edinburgh.

   On the strength of defender’s reiterated statements she gave him the loan of £13 to enable him to uncover the treasure, being promised that the money would be repaid to her. She later parted with a further two sums, on the same pretexts, obtained the loan of £20 but never saw the treasure, for she was told by the man it is stated, that the nights were too light dig up the treasure then, and that he would wait until the winter came before doing so splitting it with her. Then she learned that the man was not the owner of any treasure, and that the statements made to her regarding it were false and fraudulent. Requests for repayment of the money were made repeatedly to the defender, but he declined or delayed. The money had to be repaid back. 

   Another story at this address occurred in 1927. On being sentenced in Hamilton J.P. Court on Saturday 22nd January 1927, for theft, William Allen (14), a local Blantyre boy living at 33 Allison Place, Springwells, refused to walk from the dock and, shrieked, “Oh, daddy, help!”. He was lifted by an officer and carried, still shouting, to the cells below. The Fiscal described him as “a boy who was training boys, younger than himself to become criminals.“

   A nine-year-old boy had told the police that he was a member of a gang, which Allen was self proclaimed leader. This younger boy said that his parents had thrashed him because of his association with Allen, and that Allen had treated him brutally when he refused to steal for him. The youngster said he was more afraid of Allen than he was of his parents. He now did what he was told by Allen, and recently, when a lorry with beer bottles was seen standing in Glasgow Road, he on Allen’s orders, along with other boys, stole some of the bottles. The liquor was taken to the picture-house on Glasgow Road, where Allen and another boy drank some of it. Allen was charged that Saturday, when pleaded guilty, and admitted four previous convictions. The Justices ordered the boy to be detained in Parkhead Reformatory until he attained the age of 19.

   Before we move off 33 Allison Place, yet another story in the paper that happened just a week earlier than the previous paragraphs. On Friday 12th January 1927, Joseph Malcolmson, a carter of Dalzell Place and his friend Robert McGinn of 33 Alison Place, both carters were up in court for breaking into a signal box at Craighead Colliery and stealing an axe, some matches and a regulations book. Malcolmson also admitted breaking into Castle Park Football ground in Forrest Street and was sentenced to 30 days in prison. McGinn was fined £1.

   In 1928, the whole of Allison Place, including the outbuildings were demolished, the county council acquiring the land from John Stevenson. Allison Place had lasted exactly 50 years.

   In 1933, the Council built 3 large terraced blocks of 2 storey homes on this and neighbouring ground with frontage on to Glasgow Road, directly across from Robertson’s Aerated Water Factory. The new homes were given addresses 25 – 41 Glasgow Road and still exist, in good repair today.

Featuring Blantyre Project Social Media with permission. Strictly not for use by others on or offline, our visitors said,

Gord Fotheringham I think some of our cousins lived in that building…..innes or cummiskis
Blantyre Project In 1891 Terrance Cummiskey lived with his sons Alexander and Francis at Mid Row pictured at Blantyre Works. Terrance was a scavenger, or binman and sons were miners. Francis had been living at Stonefield as early as 1885.

Sarah Cummiskey when widowed See more

Image may contain: sky, text and outdoor
Jay Peajohn Stone I love these stories about my hometown….thank you Paul
Blantyre Project you’re welcome! We’re only just getting started! A LONG way to go all along Glasgow Road. Many stories to be told.

1 Comment

Add a Comment
  1. My 3 x great grandparents William and Rachel leggat nee Mace lived at 33 Alison Place in 1891 – great to read more about the place – thank you!

Leave a Reply to Kerry Cancel reply